About Me

My photo
A 16 year old college student studying Photography, Graphics, English Language, Computing and Geology. I'll post book and film reviews, art or photography I enjoy and any music which I like.

20 Oct 2010

English Coursework...

...requires too much brain power. I'm not even joking. I want to write a comical, educated, well written review of Stephen Fry's The Fry Chronicles. This is already proving to be really hard. I've re-written the introduction a couple of times and only just decided upon an opening sentence. My attempts at planning have left me disinterested and unhappy with it.

We have to use a style model, a piece of writing with the same audience, genre and purpose as what we want to write, and I've chosen Andrew Rawnsley's review of Tony Blair's A Journey. Without getting into too much detail, it describes the failings of the work -- which there appear to be many -- and the highlights, using known information from Tony Blair's past. I like the way the review is done, it does what it's meant to, but it doesn't grab my attention. I want to write something that will. We are allowed to deviate from the style model as long as the audience, genre and purpose stay the same. I'll probably end up doing this, and quite a lot. I'll still use information from Fry's past, write about the many highlights and the sparse downsides of the book but I'll try and make it more entertaining and interesting to read using as many literary techniques as I see fit.

TL;DR
Basically, I'm going to write an entertaining *ahem*, informative book review aimed at an educated, adult audience, nothing like my style model. It will take me a billion years and it will show no relation to the first draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment